Friday, June 6, 2014

Recycled Broken Crayon Fun!

Do you have drawers of broken crayons? Nubs and pieces here and there? What do you do with them all?

I tend to be a neat freak, and one thing I can't stand is a bunch of broken stuff, especially crayons and their wrappers littering the bottom of desk and kitchen drawers. My children (all 3 of them) tend to be super picky too, no one wants to use the broken crayons. Every time I go to the store, they want new crayons.

I recently stumbled across the perfect idea from Building Block and Acorns. (Full instructions here!)

https://buildingblocksandacorns.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/recycled-crayons-main.jpg

All you need to do is put all your broken crayon pieces into a silicone mold and bake in the oven.

I had a cat face silicone mold we used here that I got at Target for $2.99. Its such a fun inexpensive way to re-use your crayons. The kids and I sat down peeled and sorted the colors and when they came out of the oven the kids had a hard time waiting for them to cool down enough for them to use them. Just make sure you sort the colors into color friendly groups though. My daughter wanted to mix all the colors together, which I let her but the end result was a muddy brown color of such.

The only draw back from this idea I have found is that my kids now take perfectly new, not broken crayons and go and break then so that they can create the mixed shaped ones!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home